Monday, December 17, 2012

Writing vs. Social Media

I'm starting learn that writing isn't the hardest part of being an Indie Author.

It's the social media. Don't get me wrong, I like it - I love meeting new people and authors. Still, it's a lot when you still have to try and crank out, at least, fifteen pages a night on your next and upcoming book.

Now, on this blog, I have talked about ways to write around Story Snags and ways to keep your head free in order to do your work.

For the social media... I'm at a lost. Yes, to write, you need to keep your head free, but how do you do that when you have to respond to emails and do interviews and keep up on friends. Being an Indie Author, you have to be apart of the community. No, you can't act like the golden child - like your work is so great that it's only a matter of time before someone will read it and that one person will turn into millions.

No, you have to give back to the community if you think the community is going to do anything for you. I have met wonderful people on Facebook. I have learned from them because they opened the door for me to learn.

I will figure out a formula on how to deal with the attention requirement for Social Media and I'll do a post on how to keep your head clear, you mind fresh and ready to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment