Saturday, December 22, 2012

Letting The Mind Rest

It's close to the holidays - two days till Christmas to be exact.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas and the cheer, the holiday songs, the cookies and milk, but this year I can't wait to get it all over with.

For the last four months I have been jumping from one writing project to the next. Ruck's Nightmare went in first then The Chase and then The Playmate.

Now, I'm moving on to my final novel, which is set to come out in the beginning of 2013: Rogue.

My mind is blah... Between my own indiviual writing projects, I have had paid gigs to keep up with. A script writing job, which is now completed - well, the first rough is. And a comic book job, which needs the final touches and then it's shoved right out the door.

If you asked me a few months ago, if taking on several projects at one time was a good idea, I would have told you 'yes.' But now I'm not so sure. I have experienced plenty of set backs from this spurt of insanity.

SET BACKS:

Sleep...
Rest...
Solid Mind...
Coherent thought...

Sleep is a sailing dream. Resting goes hand and hand. I can't stop my mind from working. I keep a tally in my head which project needs what... My mind doesn't feel solid or strong at all. No, does not mean I'm going into a straight jacket, but it makes me feel tired and tired and doesn't help with my mood at all.

Coherent thought... I get slightly scattered brain. I move from one thought to the next... unable to plan out one solid detail.

The moral of this story is take your time with your planning and your writing. Your mind, as a writer, is the most valuable thing. I am fortunate to say that I have made it through my writing obligations, but I will go about a solid brick of writing much different the next time. I'm not an outliner, but from now on I will be.

I won't rush my work, but effeciantly plan things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment