Saturday, November 17, 2012

The troubles of falling so deep into your work

One novel finally handed over to my editor. Another is still in mid swing of it's first re-write.

Of course, as a writer, story teller, you should be happy that your work is slowly growing, but what does this work do to you?

I cannot sleep. Correction, I am sleeping but I'm not resting. My mind is not turning off. I have fallen heavy back into gaming and reading, just to settle my mind and allow myself some distance from my story, but still the work is taking it's toll.

What does this tell us?

That words are extremely powerful. That we, as writers, fall so hard into our work that it becomes increasingly hard to detach yourself. Of course, there are excersises to help with this: gaming and reading or listening to music, but it doesn't always work.

I can easily say that I'm tired. There are rings under my eyes now and I feel like I'm dead on my feet in my day job. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world, but anyone just starting this writing process should know that this is what you face.

The only times I actually feel not so tired is when I'm sitting at my computer, when I'm back in my story - only there do I feel like I'm on to something, or like I just had a jug of red bull.

No comments:

Post a Comment